Initial idea/approch

download.php?file=2853149&embedded=1&tex

• one of the blurred photographs to show the mood of unclear memory/unpredictable future #1

In order to present a contrast that shows how my life did not go the way how me or people in my life thought it would be, I want to combine family videos from my childhood with photographs and video clips to achieve that concept. I believe the colour and pixel of the old films would add very interesting element to the current photographs/videos. Although I want to keep the narrative part throughout my outcome, I feel like the visual language of the photographs/videos should be rather abstract, considering memories are never 100% clear and correct-  they are merely impressions created in our own perspective. Thus the images would be blurred by using off-centre framing to achieve the 'illusion/memory'.

###(Research about Wong Kar-wai + watching My Blueberry Nights) 

7 march

Poster/booklets

download.php?file=2854008&embedded=1&tex#1download.php?file=2854014&embedded=1&tex#2download.php?file=2854018&embedded=1&tex#3

They could be the cover or combined with symbolic illustrations/photographs.

#1 working progress

#2 is completed by stamp-copy+smudge which completed my vision of 'memory' and events happened in life(they blend and in some way connect to each other thus instead of predicting, planning and escaping, maybe sometimes we should learn to embrace and understand the beauty of unexpected events/people- even though most of the times they seem nonsense and unexplainable in any way).

I layered up pattern#3(was reflections on water glasses originally) over one and another to create 3D models that  have a mood of drifting and 'random events'.

8 march

Today we did the embossing and the printing workshop, however it didn't really work for me because my concept is more about imageries rather than texts. Plus, it is not easy to make the general idea of ''memory'' into 4 narrative frames. If i am doing printing, I would rather to do something like mixing colours on the paper to create a vague/blurred visual effect. The brainstorming key words for the embossing to narrative my concept did help me to understand deeper about where I want to go further in this concept (about memory). 

• odds
  • faux pas/ this is a french expression saying an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation/it really suits my concept of ''accepting the unexpected events in life'' and i have been thinking about playing with the faux pas rather than the idea of visualising memories in general.
  • tangled/ the word reminds me of in times, we all get caught up on some thoughts or events and we struggle a lot before we can move on with our life.
  • doubts
  • breaks/ life in my perspective is formed by several parts(breaks) and they are not here to break what you have. The breaking makes you stronger, it should be here to push you to find something/someone better.
  • incidence/coincidence/we can take a break and embrace these surprising events happened.

Questions: How to make ''memory'' visualised effectively? Does your pieces of memory exist in the format of sound/imagery/text/something else?

download.php?file=2854099&embedded=1&tex       download.php?file=2854100&embedded=1&tex

initial drafts

13 march

Through today's peer tutorial, the rest of the group and myself came to realise that i am still lost about where my concept focus on and what i should be having as my outcomes. With the photoshopped patterns i have for now, the least i could do is to think about the size of the booklet/poster and what material i should be printed on. The group all really liked the patterns but some of them were looking for more progress, and they suggested me to get more ideas in order to give myself a push- I have been stuck with this idea for too long. 

16 march

Progress tutorial

Lucy/

I think your concept is beautiful but the most interesting progress that you are having is the collage playing with the dirty finished plate (with a spoon on). That dull lighting and the way you putting them together took me some time to figure out what is that exactly and that is how memory is in a way- you need time to figure out what they mean. I think you can work digitally, just give it a try on working physically because sometimes when you work with photoshop, you can get too crazy using all the tools instead of actually thinking how the image looks visually. See what it ended up with ''the lights'' image, the last one isn't nice at all. The original pictures give a sense of not knowing what it is- which is the excatly the same feeling we got from our memory. They are merely senses of feelings. I also really like the idea of combining sketches with the photos, however they should not be some random sketches, they should be relevant to your photos/concept. Otherwise they have no reason to be one of the main elements in the works. Try to set a theme, then do sketches as the same style you having now. GET THE VIDEOS and play with them, e.g. zoom in, craft out, layer up... You could also experiment with typography by putting some words above the imageries/videos, they could be some questions that make people think/reckon. Keep doing reflection by dates. Go to exhibitions and do more research to get more inspirations. What you are having is not enough.

• I really appreciate Lucy's advices. I will do some sketches based on some certain days or events instead of throwing random sketches into my outcomes. About working physically more, I think one of my goals is to push myself to explore the concept with digital format as this is what i was not able to explore before in short projects. I will try to have more collages but mainly for getting ideas instead of making them as finals. During the easter break, I will go back home to get the childhood footages and start to combine footages together with pictures and drawings. I need to do more workflow as well. 

2 april

I found the footages yet they need specific machine to play and copy mini DV tapes. Me and my mum went to ask professionals and we were told that they took more than a month to copy. I decided to look through the family photo albums to see because I still want to use materials from the early years in my private life. Luckily, there were plenty of them so I selected 45 pieces of them which really captured the scenario at that moment/they has certain interesting features as photographs from a decade before, like yellowed edges or over-exploured effects (something went wrong while shooting or developing). I scanned them as they were (sitting inside the plastic little pockets). The light reflected by the creases on the plastic pockets shows and they give the scanned pictures extra vintage characteristic. Some of the photos are better off visually when they are detached from the pocket so they were scanned separately (taken out of the pocket). I also scanned some damaged films collected in a little bag, the films are evidences of the time past and the photos developed. 

3 april

Today I read some research about what people will see before they died, they said people will go back to the scene of some good memory, which  is connected to my project concept. The storyline is about a girl going through one of the best parts of her memory before having an air crush.

scene1: screen on the airplane- to hint she is currently on one

air attendants working as usual- nothing has happened yet

scene 2: part of the girl's facial features showing anxiety 

shaking camera effects/air attendants being busy (ier)- to imply air crush is happening

scene 3: more shaking camera effects+close up view to the bright screen to create a feeling of the girl having illusion or passing out

going back to the memory (after a white bright light going full screen)

scene 4: Black out + the air crush was just a false alarm (footages of safely landing)

5 april

Some changes to the storyline

scene1:

• screen on the airplane- to hint she is currently on one
  • air attendants working as usual- nothing has happened yet/ these two choose one

scene 2:

1. part of the girl's facial features showing anxiety
  2. shaking camera effects/air attendants being busy (ier)- to imply air crush is happening
  3. repeat (1)+(2) for 3 times, longer per time to lead to the highlight

scene 3:

• more shaking camera effects+close up view to the bright screen to create a feeling of the girl having illusion or passing out
  • going back to the memory (after a white bright light going full screen)

scene 4:

• Black out
  • the air crush was just a false alarm (footages of safely landing) or the views are just her imagination of the good ending (''safely'' landing)

7 april

I filmed the footages on the plane. It was not easy because I didn't want to disturb other customers relaxing/feeling uncomfortable. I was lucky that it did have quite a turbulence so that I could film the shaking effects with more reliability (''be true to the camera, the viewers could feel it.'') and I chose to shoot every frame as my eye level because i want the outcome to be from the girl's perspective, no matter if it is the airplane scene or the memory one. 

The footages I got:

• air attendants busy working when they need to prepare for our meals/drinks- to hint air crush (+shaking effects)
  • air attendants chatting/answering consumers' questions- before air crush
  • windows with red-ish lights on (+shaking effects)
  • map on the screen showing the temperature/landing time/how long the flying lasts
  • earth map showing where we are currently
  • only my month- biting lips to show anxiety (with only screen light on)
  • full face- acting worried-from the front and from the side (with only screen light on)
  • my feet when the plane is crossing a zone of turbulence
  • when there is an announcement about crossing a zone of turbulence
  • the shadow of air attendants shown on the curtain covered the serving/preparing food area
  • kids and adults walking through (to the bathroom) when lights are off

10 april

11 April

I showed my final work in progress (the film) and my works for the portfolio to Umberto. He suggested me to print out a picture from my video or any of other works in the size of 1meter*2meter if it is possible, and a stall for device to play the film (with headset for the sound) in front of the large poster. The poster is like a trailer that represents the film i made. He also said i could try to experiment some texts or typography over the imagery, however i don't think i will do that. I prefer to stay communicating with images for this project since there is always blurred imagery and sound in people's memory (...conversations maybe but in the form of sounds as well).The idea takes me thinking projecting the film onto the poster so they could have more interaction with one and another. The poster could be tracing paper if the projecting work better on tracing papers. 

p.s. Afterwards Umberto told me that due to increasing people working digitally, there will be devices sharing among amount of students, playing their digital works in turns so the idea of hanging poster behind it will not be practical. I guess i will fine with only playing the film as final. 

My friend also suggested that i could hang up prints overlapping one and anther with some space left between each page, to show the dimension/space in one's memory. They could be on tracing paper so that people could see through them even standing in the front instead of the side of the work. I gave it a thought but it is a bit away from what i said i want to do in my proposal and what i really want to experiment with. Even though i really like the idea, it will look like I am changing everything just for the way to display. 

I named it ''crush'' because this is an air crush accident but the memory is about having a really nice afternoon with the person she has feelings towards to- a crush.

12 April

Today i played the film to a couple of people outside my group (who do not really know about what I have been doing)  to get some fresh ideas. The ideas could be about the editing, the timing or the suggestion about what music/sound to go with the film.

/Yukari/

To me, flashbacks should be really quick but what you are having is too long and in slow motions. And I'm not sure if people will go back into the memories they had before dying. It will keep audience to stay with the film if you have something audio going on the background as well.

/Scene/

I can see Wong Kar-Wai in the film, like the colours and how you edited it narratively. I also really really like how you zoom in the camera, shaking at the same time. It does have the similar feeling as how memories exist in my head- all messy and having strong nature lighting (if the memory is in daytime). The name ''crush'' is interesting ad well- how i understand it is that this could be a crush of a life, a crush of the extension of one's memory, and a crush in metaphor (the air crush is a metaphor of the boy crushing her emotionally by showing up and entering her life). Don't think about if the film is cool enough or go too crazy trying to make the film seem deep (so that you lose the original atmosphere and emotions you wanted to deliver). Just stick to what you want it to be like. And maybe cut it short a bit- our tutor mentioned about not having moving images too long for the exhibition. 

/Isaac Bebbington/

Hmm i like it but it does a bit too long and i'm not paying attention after watching the 2/3 of it. You could narrow down the introduction parts- they feel like too long. And it will be better with sound on the background. If you have more footages of the window, then maybe you can google how to make the video shaking to emphasis the air crush... Don't overthink anyone's suggestions though, it is your film anyway, it is important to remember when you take advices in- how YOU want to do it. 

• I think Yukari was a bit stubborn about the word ''flashbacks''. She insisted flashbacks should be at one second and really fast and short. Although the flashing back could happen within just a really short period of time, how the person experiences the moments does give them a feeling as if it was quite a long time they went through. And definitely I will give it more thinking about the choices i wanted to give myself about the music on the background. I have asked isaac today to help me with some ideas on the music chosen because he and his friends have explored this area much more than i do (I wanted noises as well as music to go with the atmosphere changing between the scenes). I do need to narrow down my video. Not only because it is too long for the exhibition, but i also have the same feeling that the introduction of being in an airplane is too long (some scenes are unnecessary to be there as some other clips have explained the same thing thoroughly). And the repeating (between air crush and memory) are a bit too much that confuses the audience when is the highlight coming. Maybe three times back and forth will be just enough before the dying part. I need to think what and how i am going to put into description about the film. Maybe just the storyline.

15 April

I watched my video again today because I have given different advices towards my editing. Isaac bebbington thinks I should delete the last part of ''the girl's imagination of living'' since it could be a question leaving to the audience to wonder if the girl survived or not. He also thinks I might lack more window footages with shaking effect. However, the landing part in split screen is an idea of combining the past(memory) and the future(predict) into one frame to show that it is unnecessary to predict the future and just seize the moment when you still can (and they are so beautiful to miss out).

He recommended a list of music for my background, including

1. https://youtu.be/ZBtDG_Nclgc Mumdance - Path of the Seer/ I didn't like the soundtrack when I first listened the music (without my film), because i imagined the background music being more soft as the film is about flashbacks that brought her joy before air crush, it should be quite and calm with a little bit romantic colour. Yet I clicked on my video in the middle of the music playing and the beats change as every scene changes. The atmosphere of different parts also fits the storyline, e.g. the constant buzzing before illusion exploded in the girl's head (blue and green lights shaking in a large range in the frame) and a deep tum along with the lights showing up, the constant electric disturbing sound along with memory/flahsbacks frames (to show the coming death is messing up the girl's head/ making her believe that she currently exists at the happy scene in the past), the sawing sound when her head went blank (implying the death).
  2. https://soundcloud.com/differentcircles/airhead-kazzt-mumdance-remix Airhead - Kazzt (Mumdance Remix)/ The rhythm is a bit too fast for the film but it makes me think it may suit- this is about something that happens within seconds or minutes after all (even though in her head, it must feel a lot much much longer). The changes in music also fits my changes in atmosphere in the film.
  3. https://youtu.be/qc4_n_igzQw Mumdance & Logos "Cafe Del Mar"/This one fits all the memory/flashbacks due to the soft delightful melody (expectation shown in the form of music) and bubbling sound but definitely not the entire video.
  4. https://soundcloud.com/differentcircles/diff05-sharp-veins-already-bones Sharp Veins - Already Bones/ The violin in it makes it sound peaceful. That's why it only fits the very last part of the imagination of landing safely, or it could be the music for the casting rolling (if i consider doing later- the reason i don't want to do it is that there is not much to put on + i don't want it to be there just because a film needs casting rolling. If i use the music, i want it to be playing for at least 30seconds for the audience to get the atmosphere of it).
  5. Mio Amore (unable to find which is a shame, the name has the romantic colour so I'm guessing that the music has similar style and if it does, it may suit the imagination at the last bits of my film).

(final) Crush